Whenever I do recipe research, I see a few meals that come up over and over again.
One of them was tortilla soup.
I was always like, what the hell is tortilla soup?
Tortilla soup is basically chili’s more liquid-y cousin.
It’s tomato-based and packed with beans and lots of veggies.
This version is vegan, but if you’re into cheese you could TOTALLY top this soup with cheese along with the other amazing garnishes. And it would be great with chicken or turkey!
Yes, this soup is really all about what you put on top of it.
Cilantro. Green onion. Lime juice. Avocado. And of course, tortillas. But what you add is all up to you!
Would it still be tortilla soup if you didn’t add tortilla chips on top? I’m not sure.
I found these awesome sweet potato tortilla chips (pictured above) to crumble into my soup and it was just perfect.
Tortilla soup facts:
- This is by far one of my easiest recipes. You literally throw all the ingredients (except garnishes) into a pot and leave it alone for 30 minutes.
- You can do this in a slow cooker for sure.
- The Mexican name for tortilla soup is Sopa Azteca de Tortilla.
- You don’t have to use pinto beans in this recipe, black beans would also do.
- This meal is freezer friendly!
- It’s best when heated in a microwave, but can totally be reheated in a pot on the stove.
- If you have a big pot and a big family to feed, double everything to get more servings.
- Since this soup sits on a stove for 30 minutes without you touching it, I recommend using this time wisely. You know, for something like watching your favorite half-hour comedy or prepping another quick meal.
If you end up making this, I’d love to see it on the gram! Shoot me a photo via direct message on Instagram to show me your delicious work.
Like this recipe? Sign up below and immediately get FREE mini meal plans!