You can’t go wrong with Mexican flavors in meal prepped food.
This Mexican quinoa is one of the easiest dishes I’ve ever developed… and they’re all pretty easy.
It’s vegan, packed with protein and most importantly: packed with flavor.
I’ve never tried making a one-pot meal with quinoa, and I have to say it worked really well!
The quinoa soaked up all the veggie broth, then I simply added the rest of the veggies and spices. That’s it!
Of course, if you’re more comfortable cooking quinoa in a separate pot like normal, that works too.
To make this your own, switch up the chopped veggies, add cheese and/or meat if not vegan or switch out the quinoa for rice (or any other grain).
It’s up to you!
Let’s talk garnishes. The avocado, cilantro, chopped green onion and limes are ALL optional. Other fun ideas for garnishes: greek yogurt instead of sour cream, straight up guacamole and cheese or nutritional yeast would be great. Go nuts!
What you need to know about this Mexican quinoa:
- You can keep it in the fridge for 4-5 days
- I would make great taco or burrito filling
- It reheats well in the microwave for about a minute or on the stove
- This meal is probably okay in the freezer for 3-6 months, but I didn’t test it!
- You can swap out the cherry tomatoes for 2 cups of chunky salsa, but simmer the mixture for longer so the quinoa can soak up the extra liquid from the salsa
- You can switch out the black beans for grilled chicken, ground beef/turkey or another type of bean. Lentils would work too!
I hope you enjoy this flavorful meal and make it your own! If you end up using it for meal prep, don’t forget to take a picture and DM it to me on Instagram or use hashtag #workweeklunch!
Happy prepping 🙂