I can’t tell you how much I love this breakfast. It tastes like a dessert, it fills me up AND it caffeinates me. I mean, what more could you want in a breakfast?
Oh yeah, it’s meal prep-friendly too. Even if you’re not a coffee drinker, I hope you try it!
This smoothie calls for four main ingredients: banana, coffee, cocoa powder and protein powder.
I recommend using chocolate OR vanilla flavored protein powder if you have it.
How to incorporate coffee into this smoothie:
So you need cold or at least room temp coffee to make this. Of course, you can use decaf coffee if needed! Here are some methods:
- buy regular or decaf ice coffee from your local shop and stick it in your fridge and “reserve” it for smoothies
- make regular or decaf ice coffee at home and refrigerate it overnight
- buy regular or decaf hot coffee from your local shop and stick it in the fridge to cool overnight
- Make Keurig coffee if that’s your jam and let it cool
Instant coffee works too!
Other ingredients to add to this smoothie:
Again, I find this smoothie very satisfying on many levels, but if you want more to it, here’s what to add:
- 1/2 an avocado. This adds a neutral-flavored creaminess to smoothies (and healthy fat)
- 1 TBSP chia seeds
- 1/4 cup oats
- Ice, if you like a more frappacino-like texture in your smoothies
- Your favorite plain yogurt (1/2 cup)
Prepping this smoothie:
If you want to speed up your morning slightly, you can put the banana (unpeeled), pre-measured cocoa powder and protein powder in a baggie in your fridge or freezer so you can easily dump that into a blender with your coffee and additional ingredients and blend away.
I have not had luck with this, but some people do pre-blend smoothies and refrigerate them overnight to drink the next day. I personally don’t like the texture of this method, but if you want to try it, go for it!
Happy prepping! xo