I’ve never made anything like this before in my life (creamy pasta dishes were never part of our family’s dinner routine) but I’m so happy I did!
If you’re looking for a comforting, delicious and easy-to-prep meal, you’ve come to the right place.
The main ingredients in this dish are veggie sausage, pasta, spinach, peas, artichokes and some fun dairy items like cream cheese and mozzarella.
Because spinach and artichokes are the stars of this dish, there isn’t as much that you can change as usual. But here are some ideas:
- Use any kind of short (penne, bowtie, macaroni elbows) pasta you’d like. Chickpea, lentil or a variety of protein pasta would be great in this meal.
- Veggie sausage is an easy protein, but you can use ground veggie “meat” crumbles or a can of white beans, rinsed and drained too.
- Instead of cream cheese, you can use a mix of sour cream and cream cheese, or whole milk and butter.
Vegans! How to make this:
If you’re vegan, I recommend grabbing a non-dairy cream cheese like Kite Hill cream cheese and plain non-dairy milk for this recipe.
If this recipe looks a little too much or you don’t want to deal with that many vegan non-dairy subs, check out my alfredo recipes.
The other cool thing about this meal is that it comes together really quick! Ready to try?
How to double or add more volume to this meal:
To double this meal, simply double the ingredients. You will probably need to cook in batches or in two pans at once.
To add more volume to this meal, I recommend doubling up on frozen peas or adding an extra sausage link.
Storage & reheating notes:
This meal lasts in the fridge for up to 4 days. I didn’t test it in the freezer, but I think it would work well as a freezer meal. It reheats best in the microwave or on the stove.
30-Minute Creamy, Comforting Spinach Artichoke Pasta With Veggie Sausage
Prep Time5 mins
Cook Time25 mins
- 6 oz short pasta any kind works
- 3 veggie sausage links chopped into rounds
- 2 TBSP olive oil
- 1 cups frozen peas
- 8 oz can of artichoke hearts drained and roughly chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3 cups spinach
- 8 oz cream cheese use non-dairy if needed
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1-1/2 cups milk of your choice
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese non-dairy works
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese sub nutritional yeast
- Cook the pasta according to the package.
- Add 1 TBSP oil to a skillet over medium heat. After a minute, add the veggie sausage and cook for about 10 mins, stirring frequently, until the pieces have some nice color on them.
- Add the remaining olive oil, artichokes, frozen peas and salt and pepper to taste to the pan. Cook until the peas have thawed (3-5 mins) then add the spinach and cook until it has wilted (3ish minutes).
- Add the cream cheese to the pan and break it up/stir until there are no clumps. Then add the milk and mozzarella and stir until they have fully combined with the cream cheese. Finally, add the pasta and parmesan if using.
- To assemble, divide the pasta dish between three meal prep containers.