This recipe is part of our $25 Meal Prep Meal Plan!
Budget-Friendly Lentil Tomato Sweet Potato Curry
Prep Time10 minutes
Cook Time45 minutes
- For the rice
- 3/4 cup rice
- 1-1/2 cup water
- For the curry
- 1/2 cup lentils
- 1 cup water
- 1 TBSP olive oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 TBSP curry powder
- 1 inch ginger minced
- 1 sweet potato chopped small
- 15 oz can of diced tomatoes do not drain
- 1 zucchini chopped
- 14 oz canned coconut milk
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cook the rice: add the rice and water with a pinch of salt to a pot. Bring the mixture to a boil, then cover and reduce to a simmer. Let it cook for 10 minutes, then turn off the heat and let it steam for an additional 10 minutes. No peeking or stirring!
- Cook the lentils: in another pot, add the lentils and water. Bring to a boil, then cover and let the lentils cook over low heat for 15-20 minutes, until they're tender to the bite. Cook time can vary based on different colors of lentils. Drain and set aside.
- For the curry: Add 1 TBSP olive oil to a large pan over medium heat. After a minute or two, add the onions with a pinch of salt. Let the onions cook down for 5-7 minutes.
- Add the curry powder and ginger if using. Stir well to coat and cook for 2-3 minutes. Then add the sweet potato and canned diced tomatoes. Bring the mixture to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes. Add the zucchini and cook for an additional 5-10 minutes (until the sweet potato is soft).
- When the sweet potatoes are cooked through, taste the curry and adjust spices or add more salt. If you have curry paste, cumin or garam masala, add 1-3 teaspoons at this point. Then stir in the cooked lentils.
- If using coconut milk, turn the heat down and add the coconut milk. Stir to combine. Cook on medium-low heat for about 10 minutes, so that some of the liquid evaporates. For a thicker curry, keep cooking. You may also want to add more salt.
- Assemble: Divide the rice between three meal prep containers, followed by the curry. Let cool for 15-20 minutes before storing in the fridge.