I love wings. A lot.
But I don’t love how messy chicken wings are sometimes (and I have yet to successfully recreate them at home, maybe that will be my next wing-related endeavor).
So I went ahead and took these vegan cauliflower wings for a spin.
What protein to pair with cauliflower wings to make them part of a complete meal:
- Baked beans! This classic southern dish would add some protein to round out this meal. Here’s a recipe for baked beans!
- Quinoa kale salad! Quinoa packs a lot of plant-based protein and would go really well with this hot cauliflower. Easy recipe here.
- Baked tofu! a quick, spiced tofu would compliment the hot cauliflower and keep you full. Check out this simple recipe.
Ideas for veggies to pair with these cauliflower wings:
- Braised or sauteed kale or spinach (pictured in my meal)
- Crudites (raw cucumber, carrot, celery)
- Roasted peppers and onions
- Roasted brussels sprouts or asparagus
- Sauteed green beans
- Corn salsa
Also! Don’t forget the sauce. I’m not a big sauce person, but if I was I’d pair these wings with some ranch dressing. Here’s a recipe for vegan ranch dressing that looks good! The base of it is hemp hearts.
View this post on Instagram
I’m so happy I finally got around to whipping up these delicious vegan cauliflower wings! 😋 . 🤘🏼The recipe is in my bio link if you want to take it for a spin this weekend. In the linked recipe, I list a bunch of different protein and veggie options to pair the wings with. 🍃Here I have braised kale and celery but I honestly wish I had made some baked beans or added quinoa to my kale just to make it more filling. . 🤑These wings are part of my budget prep series. I only had to buy the main ingredients: cauliflower, kale and celery. The rest I had at home!! I bet you have these ingredients at home too. . ❓So what do you think? Would you make this? Soon I’ll try regular baked chicken wings too.👌🏼
How to store and reheat this meal:
Keep in mind that when we meal prep “crispy” dishes, they’ll always lose their crisp somewhat when kept overnight. Don’t worry, the texture on these is still AMAZING. But if you want the crisp factor, eat these the day of.
You can store cauliflower wings for up to four days in the fridge and they’re not freezer friendly. They reheat well in the microwave, oven or toaster oven.
If you’re adding crudites to your wings, remove them before reheating.
I’d love to see your version of this recipe! Feel free to share it with me via DM on Instagram @worwkeeklunch or tag me in the caption/on the post.
Vegan Cauliflower Wings
Prep Time10 minutes
Cook Time35 minutes
- 1 cauliflower chopped into big florets
- cooking spray
- 1/2 cup flour of your choice, I used whole wheat
- 1/2 cup milk of your choice
- 3 tsp onion powder
- 2 tsp chipotle powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs of your choice
- for the hot sauce
- 3/4 cup hot sauce of your choice
- 1/2 cup agave, maple syrup or honey (you may want to add more depending on your spice tolerance)
- 1 TBSP coconut oil or vegan butter, melted
- 2 tsp onion powder
- sriracha to taste, (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 450 F. Prepare a baking sheet with foil and cooking spray, set aside.
- Prepare the batter by mixing the flour, almond milk, onion powder, chipotle powder, salt and pepper. If the mixture is too thick, add more almond milk. If it's too thin, add more flour.
- Pour the breadcrumbs in a separate bowl. Dip the cauliflower in the batter and use your fork to scrape off any excess. Then coat the cauliflower in the breadcrumbs, shake off excess crumbs and place on the baking sheet. Repeat until you've done this with all of the cauliflower florets. Bake for 20 minutes.
- While the cauliflower bakes, prepare the hot sauce mixture. Combine the hot sauce, sweetener, butter/oil, onion powder and sriracha if using in a bowl. Stir well and taste - then adjust flavors as necessary.
- Pour the hot sauce mixture in a small saucepan and cook it on medium heat for about 5 minutes. This helps bring out the flavors.
- When the caulilfower is done baking, toss it in the hot sauce mixture, coat it as well as you can, and return it to the baking sheet. Bake for another 5 minutes.