I used to go to this place called Blossom to get a vegan sweet potato, avocado and kale wrap for lunch.
It was my special treat (because they were $12 a pop). When I moved to Colorado, I couldn’t find anything like them. So naturally, I made them myself for half the price!
How to crush this recipe (and make it your own)
- You don’t have to use sweet potato! This could totally work with other types of potato, winter squash and even rice.
- You don’t have to use kale either! Spinach or other greens would totally work. I just love the texture of kale in a wrap.
- Can’t find avocado or don’t want to use it? That’s fine, just add more hummus instead.
I used chicken apple sausage (my favorite) in these wraps as the protein element, but you can use vegetarian/vegan sausage too.
Make sure to get the kind that looks like hotdogs — not the loose sausage that comes in a giant tube.
This would also work with tempeh chunks, tofu chunks and maybe even cut up veggie burger!
How to wrap a wrap properly:
I am admittedly terrible at this and I hope that by watching this incredibly short video, you can be better at wrapping wraps than I’ll ever be.
How to double or add more volume to this recipe:
To double this recipe, simply double the ingredients!
To add more volume, I’d start with veggies. Other good wrap-friendly veggies are bell pepper, carrot, cabbage and cucumber. You can also stuff more greens in there! I also find that whole wheat wraps are more filling than regular tortillas, but that might just be me.
Storage & reheating notes:
This wrap lasts for up to 4 days in the fridge. You can store it in a container or in foil/saran wrap — totally up to you.
This is a no-reheat meal! It’s awesome cold and at room temperature. I personally wouldn’t heat it up, but if you wanted to, I suggest the toaster oven or in the microwave wrapped in a paper towel to absorb extra moisture.
Happy prepping 🙂
Sausage, Sweet Potato, Kale And Hummus Wrap
Prep Time5 minutes
Cook Time30 minutes
- 3 8" tortillas of your choice
- 1 sweet potato medium, chopped small
- 3 cups kale or spinach, chopped
- 1 avocado mashed
- 1 cups sausage links of your choice chopped, (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp cumin or something with a kick
- 2 TBSP olive oil
- 1/2 cup hummus
- 1 lemon sliced into wedges
- Preheat your oven to 400F. Line a baking sheet with foil and set aside.
- In a bowl, toss the sweet potatoes with 1 TBSP olive oil, salt, pepper and cinnamon. Pour onto the baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes.
- Add 1 TBSP olive oil to a skillet over medium heat, followed by the kale and sausage if using. Add cumin, salt and pepper. Cool, stirring frequently, for 7ish minutes until kale has wilted.
- When the sweet potato is done, assemble! Spread a few spoonfuls of hummus on each wrap. It should be a fairly thin layer. To the middle, add the kale and sausage, sweet potato, avocado. Squeeze a lemon wedge over the veggies and wrap it up! (Watch the video above for the best wrapping technique