This recipe is part of our $25 Meal Prep Meal Plan!
Budget-Friendly Chicken Noodle Soup
Servings 3 meals
- 16 oz chicken breast sub chicken thighs
- 6 cups water divided
- salt and pepper to taste be generous
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 tsp dried dill
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 6 oz short pasta
- 6 oz mixed frozen veggies
- Add the chicken to a pot with half of the water (3 cups) with salt and pepper and bring it to a boil. If the water is no longer covering the chicken, add a little more. Cover and reduce the heat to medium/low and cook for 25 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through.
- Remove the chicken from the water and set aside. If there's any impurities/fat floating at the top of the broth, you can drain it (but make sure to catch the broth in a bowl!) or skim it off the top with a spoon.
- Transfer the broth to a bowl. In the same pot, add 2 tsp oil, followed by the onion with a pinch of salt. Add the dill and thyme. Sauté the onion for about 5 minutes, then add the broth and remaining water. Bring to a boil, then add the pasta and veggies. Cook the pasta all the way through - about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, shred the chicken with 2 forks and add it back to the pot.
- Stir everything together and taste. Add more salt, pepper, thyme or dill if needed.
- Divide the soup between 3 meal prep containers. Let it cool for about 30 minutes before storing in the fridge. You can also freeze it for up to 6 months.