The idea for these savory muffins was inspired by a suggestion from a member of the WWL Program!
And man am I glad I took her up on that suggestion. I mean, there were only three muffins left by the time I got to take a photo of them the first few times! That’s how good they are.
Get more recipes like this in the Workweek Lunch Meal Prep Program with access to our meal planning tools, grocery list generator, and more. Start a free trial today!
Here’s what you need to know about this recipe:
- Gluten-free? Use all-purpose gluten-free flour for best results.
- Dairy-free? I recommend using cheddar non-dairy cheese (I like the brand Daiya) for the batter
- Vegan? Use the above cheese recommendation and include a flax/chia egg. Instructions are in the notes of the recipe!
Add-In Options for these Savory Muffins
- Feeling adventurous? You can throw in spices like cayenne or chili powder for some heat or try this recipe with different cheese. I think Monterey jack cheese or gruyere cheese would be amazing in this recipe in addition to or to replace cheddar.
- Want to throw in some herbs? Chopped chives, sage or fresh thyme would be great to throw into the batter for this recipe.
- Feeling green? Add chopped slightly steamed spinach (not fully cooked) to the batter as well. You can steam it a bit by warming it in the microwave for 30 seconds in a microwave-safe bowl.
Throwing in some greens would be a great way to use up leftover ingredients before they go bad!
How to Eat These Amazing Cheddar Muffins at Breakfast:
I tried these muffins different ways throughout the week:
- With homemade applesauce! (Storebought is also fine)
- With an egg on top!
- Warmed with butter!
All were amazing. I recommend eating two muffins for breakfast or one for a snack, but as always this is entirely up to you!
How to Store and Reheat these Savory Muffins
These muffins last at room temp on the counter, covered for four days, and in the fridge in an airtight container for up to six days. They’re freezer-friendly for up to 3 months. You can eat them cold, at room temp or slightly warmed/toasted.
Make Sure to Give these other Savory Muffin Recipes a Try!
- Zucchini Cheddar Muffins
- Ham, Corn, and Cheese Muffins
- Vegan Savory Muffins
- Sun-Dried Tomato and Olive Muffins
And Don’t Forget About Our Other Free Breakfast Recipes!
- No-Frills Banana Muffins
- Spinach Feta Breakfast Wrap: Starbucks Copycat Recipe
- Easy Shakshuka With Feta
- Horchata Overnight Oats
- Blueberry Lemon Pancakes For Meal Prep
Fluffy Savory Cheddar Muffins
- cooking spray
- 1 cup milk of your choice
- 3 TBSP butter sub non dairy butter or coconut oil
- 1 egg sub 1 large flax egg – see notes
- 1/4 tsp cayenne optional
- 1-3/4 cup all-purpose flour sub gluten-free all purpose flour
- 1 TBSP baking powder
- 1 TBSP granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese and more for topping, sub vegan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 F and prepare a muffin tin with muffin liners or cooking spray.
- Add milk, melted butter (or coconut oil), eggs (or flax eggs) and cayenne in a bowl. Stir until just combined.
- Add the flour, baking powder, sugar and salt, then stir. Then fold in the cheddar cheese.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin tin, filling each cup about ⅔ full. Sprinkle with cheddar cheese on top if desired. It will make 10-12 muffins depending on how much you scoop in! Bake for 20-25 minutes, until the muffins are firm to the touch.
- 1 tablespoon chia seed or flax
- 3 tablespoons of water