Welcome to my new favorite savory breakfast: the tortilla bake. It’s kind of like if a frittata and a spicy lasagna had a baby. But with tortillas and lots of veggies. It’s so good!
The main ingredients in this breakfast bake are tortillas, eggs, black beans, bell peppers, soyrizo/chorizo and cheese.
Of course, you can change it up!
Veggies that would go well in this breakfast bake:
- red onion
Those are my picks, but I don’t think you can go wrong with any veggie combo in this one!
We have a few different proteins in this bake: egg, soyrizo/chorizo and black beans. You can swap out black beans for pinto beans or even refried beans (yum) or soyrizo with 6 oz cooked ground meat (about 1 cup) of your choice. Egg isn’t replaceable here – stay tuned for the vegan version of this breakfast bake next week!
A note about soyrizo: it has a very strong flavor so that’s why there aren’t extra spices in this recipe. If you don’t use soyrizo, I recommend adding 1 tsp cumin and 1/2 tsp chipotle powder or chili powder to the veggie mix.
You can use any kind of tortilla you like, including GF if needed.
Storage & reheating notes:
This meal can last in the fridge for up to 5 days and it’s freezer-friendly for up to 6 months! I recommend reheating it in the microwave, oven, toaster oven or on the stove.
Breakfast Tortilla Bake
- cooking spray
- 1 TBSP olive oil
- 1 large red bell pepper chopped
- 1 jalapeno seeded and chopped
- 6 oz chorizo or soyrizo (about 1 cup)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 15 oz can of black beans rinsed and drained
- 3 large tortillas cut in half
- 1 cup shredded cheese
- 6 eggs whisked
- Preheat your oven to 400 F and grease a 9x9 baking dish with cooking spray.
- Add 1 TBSP oil to a skillet over medium heat, followed by the bell pepper, jalapeno, soyrizo/chorizo, beans, and any other veggies you want to use. Stir well and season if NOT using soyrizo with salt, pepper, cumin and chili powder. Cook for about 5-10 minutes, until the veggies have softened.
- Add 1 layer of tortillas (2 tortilla halves) to the bottom of the baking dish. Add 1/2 of the veggie mixture, followed by 1/4 cup shredded cheese. Add another layer of tortillas on top, followed by the remaining 1/2 of the mixture and more cheese. Place the last layer of tortillas on top and sprinkle the remaining 1/2 cup of cheese on top.
- Whisk eggs in a bowl and season with a pinch of salt and pepper. Pour the eggs over the tortilla layers. Tilt the pan a little to get the eggs to spread evenly in the dish.
- Cover the dish and bake for 20 minutes, then uncover and bake for another 10 minutes.
- Let the tortilla bake cool down before slicing it and adding it to meal prep containers.