This sweet potato skillet is comforting, satisfying and the perfect lunch to take to work. Seriously, it smells so good when you reheat it!
How to customize this sweet potato skillet:
You can use whatever vegetables you want in this meal. Brussels, zucchini, chopped asparagus, green beans, chopped eggplant – it would all work… as long as there’s a sweet potato base.
If you’re not into black beans, you can swap them out for a different kind of legume, chicken, sausage or ground meat.
If you wanted to add a plant-based protein, I would add tempeh here since it has a delicious earthy flavor. You can check out our roundup of easy tempeh recipes for cooking tips if you’ve never used it before!
Toppings: I include cheese in this recipe, but feel free to go nuts and make it your own with sauces, avocado, salsa, etc.
Related: 25+ Vegetarian Meal Prep Ideas
Storage and reheating notes:
This meal can last in the fridge for up to five days and is freezer friendly! You can keep it in the freezer for up to three months.
The best way to reheat it is on the stove or microwave.
Happy prepping 🙂
Other recipes you’ll love:
- Peanut Tofu Stir Fry With Broccoli, Peppers, and Quinoa
- Meal Prep-Friendly Jackfruit Tacos With Elote
- Veggie Mac And Cheese With Cauliflower, Zucchini, And Bell Pepper
- Roasted Veggie Sandwiches | Meal Prep Friendly!
- Vegan Shepherd’s Pie With Lentils (Meal Prep-Friendly!)
- Vegetarian Quesadillas With Sweet Potato And Black Beans
You can find all our free recipes here!
Sweet Potato Skillet
- 1 TBSP olive oil
- 1/2 red onion chopped
- 1 sweet potato chopped into cubes
- 1 clove garlic minced
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 bell pepper chopped
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1 15 oz (425g) can of black beans rinsed and drained
- 1 cups corn canned or frozen
- 1 medium tomato chopped, optional
- 1 oz kale or spinach, chopped, optional
- shredded cheese optional
- To a large skillet over medium heat, add the oil followed by the onion. Stir and cook for two minutes.
- Add the sweet potatoes, garlic and a pinch of salt & pepper. Stir to combine. Cook uncovered for three minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the bell pepper and continue to cook uncovered for two minutes. Add the cumin, chili powder, beans, corn, tomato and more salt, to taste. Stir to combine. Reduce heat and cover the pan. Cook on low heat for 10-15 minutes, or until sweet potatoes are fork tender, stirring occasionally.
- Turn off the heat, add the greens and stir until they have wilted slightly. If you want to add cheese, add as much or as little as you'd like and stir until it's melted.
- Divide the skillet into three containers. Let the contents cool before covering and putting in the fridge. Enjoy!