Here’s to the laziest vegetarian meal I’ve ever made: the sweet potato skillet.
It’s comforting, satisfying and the perfect lunch to take to work. Seriously, it smells so good when you reheat it!
You can use whatever vegetables you want in this meal. Brussels, zucchini, chopped asparagus, green beans, chopped eggplant – it would all work… as long as there’s a sweet potato base.
If you’re not into black beans, you can swap them out for a different kind of legume, chicken, sausage or ground meat.
Toppings: I include cheese in this recipe, but feel free to go nuts and make it your own with sauces, avocado, salsa, etc.
Storage and reheating notes:
This meal can last in the fridge for up to five days and is freezer friendly! You can keep it in the freezer for up to three months.
The best way to reheat it is on the stove or microwave.
Happy prepping 🙂
The Sweet Potato Skillet - Updated Recipe
- 1 TBSP olive oil
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 sweet potato chopped into cubes
- 1/2 red onion chopped
- 1-2 cups corn canned, frozen or fresh (if using fresh, boil it for 10 mins and cut it off the cob)
- 1 1/2 cup tomato chopped, optional
- 1 15 oz (425g) can of black beans rinsed and drained
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp cayenne
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup kale or spinach, chopped, optional
- shredded cheese optional
- Add 1 TBSP of oil to a large skillet over medium heat, followed by the minced garlic. Stir and cook for one minute.
- Add the sweet potatoes and a dash of salt, pepper and cumin. Stir. Cook uncovered for three minutes and stir occasionally.
- Add the onion and cook uncovered for two minutes. Then add the beans, corn, tomatoes, more salt and a dash of cayenne and stir.
- Reduce heat and cover the pan. Cook for 15 minutes on low heat.
- Add the chopped up greens and stir until they have wilted slightly. Don't let them get too soggy!
- If you want to add cheese, add as much or as little as you'd like and stir until it's melted.
- Fill three containers with the sweet potato skillet.
- Let each container cool for 15 minutes before covering and putting in the fridge.