Back by popular demand, we present the Egg Roll In A Bowl!
This meal is inspired by the popular Chinese-American dish: the egg roll. If you’ve never had it, it’s generally a cabbage and meat-stuffed wheat wrap that’s deep-fried. It’s delicious. Chinese chefs invented egg rolls in the US in the 1930s! In our take, we’ve ditched the wrapper (it’s hard to deep fry stuff at home, plus its not super meal prep friendly) and turned it into a quick meal you can throw together in 30 minutes or less.
We’re using a bag of coleslaw, tofu as the protein, green onions, and our homemade sauce to tie it together. We’re rounding out the meal with rice, but you can add fried wonton wrapper strips too! If you want to make this meal with ground turkey, there are instructions for that below!
All you need is a pot to make rice in and one big skillet for this recipe.
Get more recipes like this in the Workweek Lunch Meal Prep Program with access to our meal planning tools, grocery list generator, and more. Start a free trial today!
Want to make this meal? This recipe is stoppable via Jupiter! Click here to fill your cart with groceries and have them delivered to you asap.
How to customize this egg roll in a bowl recipe:
- Tofu is the easiest plant-based protein for this meal, but tempeh and seitan could also work! You could also use plant-based “meat” crumbles.
- Ground turkey is also typically used in this meal, but if you’d rather use beef or a different protein, go for it. Any type of ground meat would work (chicken, beef, pork), or shredded chicken would be great too. If you’re using meat, make sure to add a few minutes to the cook time to make sure the meat is fully cooked through and can develop some color.
- Gluten-free? Sub tamari or liquid aminos for the soy sauce.
- Not feeling rice? You can use any grain or even noodles of your choice for this meal.
- Feel free to add scrambled eggs to this, why not?
If you want to make this filling into actual egg rolls, here is an easy recipe for that!
Let’s talk veggies:
We’re using a bag of coleslaw mix here to save time, but if you want to chop up some fresh veggies, go for it! Here are some that would be great in this.
- Purple Cabbage
- Carrot Ribbons
- Sliced Bell Pepper
- Grated Zucchini
- Snap Peas
- Any kind of onion
- Green Beans
- kale or swiss chard
How to store this egg roll in a bowl:
This meal can last in the fridge for up to 4 days, it’s not freezer friendly. I recommend reheating it in the microwave or on the stove. Happy prepping!
Other recipes you’ll love:
- Peanut Tofu Stir Fry With Broccoli, Peppers, and Quinoa
- Meal Prep-Friendly Jackfruit Tacos With Elote
- Veggie Mac And Cheese With Cauliflower, Zucchini, And Bell Pepper
- Roasted Veggie Sandwiches | Meal Prep Friendly!
- Vegan Shepherd’s Pie With Lentils (Meal Prep-Friendly!)
- Vegetarian Quesadillas With Sweet Potato And Black Beans
You can find all our free recipes here!
Egg Roll in a Bowl With Tofu
- 3/4 cup rice
- salt one pinch
- 1.25 cup water
- 2 TBSP soy sauce plus more to taste
- 1 TBSP rice vinegar
- 1 TBSP granulated sugar sub sweetener of choice
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 TBSP vegetable oil
- 1 package firm tofu drained
- 1/2 bunch green onions chopped
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 inch ginger minced or grated
- 12 oz bag of coleslaw mix
- 1 lime ½ juiced and ½ sliced in wedges for garnish
- salt and pepper to taste
- sesame seeds for garnish, optional
- Cook the rice: add the rice, salt, and water to a pot and bring it to a boil. Cover and reduce to a simmer. Cook for 10 minutes, then turn the heat off. No peeking! Let the rice just sit while you prepare the other elements.
- Mix the soy sauce, rice vinegar, sugar and sesame oil together and set aside.
- Add the vegetable oil to a skillet over medium heat, followed by the pressed tofu. With a wooden spoon or sturdy spatula, break into large chunks and let cook for 3-5 minutes to develop some color.
- Add the chopped white ends of the green onion, garlic, ginger, and half the soy sauce mixture. Continue to break the tofu into smaller chunks while stirring the tofu mixture. Cook for 3-5 more minutes, until fragrant and the moisture appears to be mostly gone.
- Add the coleslaw mix and remaining sauce. Stir to combine everything and cook for 5-10 minutes, until coleslaw has reduced in size. Add the juice of half a lime and taste, add salt and pepper as needed.
- Assemble: Divide the egg roll mixture and the rice between 3 meal prep containers and garnish with sesame seeds, a lime wedge, and green onion if desired.